Home > United States > Products > Band Instruments > Trumpets > 52BSP Bb Trumpet

CG Conn Step-Up Model 52BSP Bb Trumpet

About the Model 52BSP

The story of the Conn trumpets ultimately begins in 1875 with the vision and determination of one man: Colonel C.G. Conn. Founding a band instrument manufacturing company in the small town of Elkhart, Indiana, Conn quickly became known for his innovative brass designs and became the largest producer of trombones in the United States and earned the lasting reputation as "America's trombone house." Conn trumpets are recognized for their unique tone color and refusal to "break up" even at the most extreme dynamics making it one of the most versatile trumpets in the world. Conn trumpets, a future as bright as their past.
52BSP Trumpet

The Conn "CONNstellation" 52BSP Bb trumpet is designed as a professional instrument but is positioned as intermediate. The .462" large bore, reverse leadpipe construction, and single radius main tuning slide combine to produce a very open free-blowing feel. The seamless 4-7/8" yellow brass bell provides great projection and control. The professional Monel piston material provides smooth and quick action. The 1st valve thumb saddle allows for easy intonation adjustments. The patented Modular Valve Weight (MLW) system gives the player a choice in response and feel. The silver-plate finish provides a controlled brilliance to the overall sound. The Conn 52BSP is one of the most versatile trumpets available today.

Conn "CONNstellation" USA - .462" bore, seamless bell, Monel pistons, reverse leadpipe, rounded main tuning slide crook, heavy top and bottom valve caps, patented Modular Valve Weight System, clear lacquer finish, CKB 3C mouthpiece, 7900C woodshell case. Available in lacquer finish as model 52B.

Leave a Review

Leave a Reply



(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Please type the letters and numbers shown in the image.
Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.




Brass_Testing.jpg

Charles Gerard Conn was the patriarch of musical instrument manufacturing in Elkhart, Indiana.  In 1873, following a brawl in a bar which resulted in a split lip, C.G. Conn developed a brass mouthpiece with a rubber rim.  Conn converted an old sewing machine to a lathe and set-up a shop building these mouthpieces.  In 1875, a French instrument maker named Dupont began repairing instruments in Conn’s shop.  After watching him work for a few days, Conn believed he could build his own instrument.  In that same year, Colonel Conn would build the first American made cornet.

By 1879, Conn moved operations into larger quarters and began making other instruments.  In 1880, the town of Elkhart, Indiana became so enamored with C.G. Conn they elected him as their Mayor.  During his second term, he was forced to resign due to a factory fire in 1883.  The factory was rebuilt bigger and better and production continued.  By 1893 his instruments were awarded the highest honors in the World’s Columbia Exposition in Chicago. 

The Colonel loved strange and bizarre instruments.  In 1907, he built an immensaphone, the largest horn in the world at 12 feet in diameter and 35 feet long.  Conn also continued on a series of “firsts”, building the first American made saxophone and the first sousaphone, built to John Philip Sousa’s specifications. 

In 1915, Conn retired and the company was purchased by Carl Greenleaf.  The business was renamed C.G. Conn Ltd.  During this era, Carl Greenleaf began the National School Band Movement.  In 1923, Greenleaf established the first National Band Contest in Chicago, and the Conn National School of Music, also in Chicago.  In 1928, he supported the National Music Camp located in Interlochen, Michigan. 

The company flourished until World War II.  In 1942, the factory retooled to manufacture compasses, altimeters, and other items related to the war effort.  During this time, many of Conn’s dealers turned to smaller instrument makers who were allowed to manufacture instruments on a limited basis.  Coming out of wartime production, Conn found difficulty regaining its position as the number one band instrument maker. 

In 1969, the Greenleaf family sold the business to Crowell-Collier MacMillan, a publishing company.  Manufacturing of Conn instruments was split between Nogales, Arizona and Abilene, Texas; the Elkhart factory was sold to the Selmer Company.

In the 80’s through a series of mergers, C.G. Conn Ltd was combined with Slingerland Drum Company, Artley, Scherl & Roth, and several other musical instrument manufacturers and distributors to eventually form United Musical Instruments (UMI).  In 2002, UMI merged with the Selmer Company to form Conn-Selmer, Inc. and later in 2004 merged with G. Leblanc Corporation.

 

Locate a Store Nearest You

Enter a city, state, postal code or country 





Copyright 2014 Conn-Selmer, Inc.
Home | United States