Conn-Selmer, Inc. is the leading U.S. manufacturer of musical instruments for student, amateur and professional use encompassing a brand portfolio of Vincent Bach, C.G. Conn, King, Holton, Selmer, Armstrong, Leblanc, Ludwig, Musser, Scherl & Roth; and is also the North American Distributor of Henri Selmer Paris woodwinds, and Yanagisawa saxophones.
Join our team of entrepreneurial leaders, innovative manufacturers and passionate music educators seeking to improve the music industry worldwide. With a focus on quality craftsmanship and superior musical performance, we empower the next generation of talent to make their mark on the future of the world's most-loved musical brands.
We have an opening within our Operations team for a Director of Manufacturing for our Elkhart Campus. This position reports to the Vice-President of Operations and is responsible for the Elkhart North and South production facilities. The role is based in Elkhart, Indiana. The successful candidate must reside within a commutable distance to Elkhart.
The Director of Manufacturing is responsible for the Elkhart North and South facilities P&L and overall performance through the effective management of all resources, including the processing, planning, organizing, directing, and controlling of all stated objectives of the company. This role leads and manages, through both direct and indirect reporting structure, Safety, Quality, Materials/Scheduling, Manufacturing Supervision, Lean Manufacturing Implementation, Purchasing/Procurement, Engineering, Data Administration, and the Human Resource functions for both sites. We're looking for a leader who can drive year over year performance improvement in safety, quality, delivery, productivity targets and employee engagement, has the capability to identify and manage capital requirements for new products, maintaining facility infrastructure, equipment and process improvements, while building a high-performing culture for both salary & hourly teams through engagement, training, coaching and talent management.
· Direct leadership of manufacturing teams to consistently execute production schedule
· Sets, defines and leads plant staffing structure to execute on-time customer delivery, best in-class quality and year over year cost reductions
· Counsels and sets direction for management
· Ensures that facility operates efficiently and financially and morally wise
· Continually improves and maintains a culture of collaboration promoting healthy and effective employee and labor relations
· Enforces the terms established by the collective bargaining agreement
· Works cooperatively with management team to resolve grievances and to establish training requirements
· Interfaces effectively with all departments to resolve production issues and coordinate a smooth workflow
· Directs cost control and profit improvement
· Directs implementation of CIP Initiatives (i.e. LEAN Implementation)
· Leads Manufacturing Managers and Supervisors in developing and executing a production schedule in conjunction with the Materials/Scheduling group.
· Manages and assists in development of the initial training and cross training of all departments in order to maximize production and minimize scrap
· Personal and professional goals center around producing top quality instruments, raising the skill level of all employees, maintaining low employee turnover, and ensuring a safe and efficient work environment
· Designated as Emergency Coordinator
· Responsible for managing and implementing company safety program.
· Assists the negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Operations Management, or relevant work experience
· Minimum of 10 years manufacturing/operations management experience
· Experience successfully leading dual site manufacturing facilities
· Hands-on knowledge and development of departmental procedures and policies
· Proven track record as a people manager, leading & development teams, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
· Excellent communication skills
· Extensive Lean manufacturing knowledge and implementation experience
· Requires long periods of sedentary work as well as long period on the production floor
· Requires some traveling.
· Requires repetitive upper body movement – keyboard and monitor use